Please note: DO NOT register for the Global Evidence Summit before you receive notification of the result of your stipend application.
Cochrane is committed to the active involvement of consumers and consumer advocates in doing, disseminating, and implementing systematic reviews as well as furthering the aims of Cochrane.
Who is considered a consumer?
Cochrane defines a health consumer as someone who is affected by a health condition, a caregiver, or who uses or is entitled to use a health-related service, and who is not a practicing health professional or practitioner. A consumer advocate or representative is a consumer who is actively involved with other consumers and is able to represent the perspectives and concerns of that broader group of people.
Cochrane's Consumer Network considers its members to be people who contribute as consumers to Cochrane, for example as members of author teams, Cochrane review advisory groups, peer reviewers, or in other roles including governance. They also support the aims of the Consumer Network.
Stipends to help cover travel costs and/or other expenses associated with attending the Global Evidence Summit are available for consumers and consumer advocates who are active Cochrane contributors or in a position to become an active contributor.
Funds are limited, so applicants should explore partial or full funding options from other sources, such as your local consumer or patient-led organisation, or other Cochrane Group with which you may be involved.
Individuals who wish to apply for a stipend must:
- Be active Cochrane contributors (people currently involved and working with Cochrane) as a consumer or consumer advocate and be able to attend the conference.
- Be (i) recommended by a Cochrane Group or a research team with whom they work OR (ii) be recommended by a consumer or patient-led organisation with which they are associated.
- Submit a statement of no more than 150 words explaining why they would like to attend and how will they use the experience to develop their advocacy and work with Cochrane?
- a new stipend recipient applicant –you must not have received a stipend to attend Cochrane Colloquia within the past three years.
Newcomers and consumers residing in low- and middle-income countries
Stipends will be set aside to ensure the participation of newcomers to Cochrane and that of consumers from low- and middle-income countries.
Newcomers will need to demonstrate why they would like to attend, and how they plan to contribute to Cochrane (see application criteria 2 above).
Application recommendations and limitations
- Partial funding: to be able to fund attendance of many and varied consumers to the Global Evidence Summit, our preference is to provide partial support only. Your chances of receiving a stipend are increased if you are able to cover part of the costs yourself and/or from other sources. The application form will ask for information on other sources you have contacted to request funding. You will not be able to request further funding once your application has been accepted.
- Geographical proximity: people from Europe are strongly encouraged to apply.
Assessment of applications
Applicants will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Contribution(s) to Cochrane's work
- Contribution(s) to consumer activities or organisations in the community
- Contribution to the Global Evidence Summit programme
- Benefits of attendance to your organisation/group
- Ability to raise funds to support attendance
- Recommendation by a Cochrane Group or research team OR recommendation by a consumer or patient-led organisation with which they are associated (see application criteria above)
- A statement of no more than 150 words explaining why they would like to attend and how will they use the experience to develop their advocacy? (See application criteria above)
- Active, contributing member of a consumer organisation
What costs are covered?
Funds may be available for one or more of the following expenses:
- Travel to and from Prague (most economical return fare), up to £500
- Accommodation at one of the Prague hotels for a maximum of four nights, up to £500 in total
- Registration fee, which entitles you to attend all sessions, conference materials, lunches and coffee breaks from 10-13 September 2024, including attendance at the Evening Social Event
- Allowance for ground travel and meals not included in the registration fee, up to £25 per day (no more than £100 in total for the four days)
Stipends recipients will need to
- Produce a report on their experiences at the Global Evidence Summit. This may be used as a blog or news item for the Cochrane websites.
- Take a full and active part in the Global Evidence Summit and in particular attend meetings of relevance to consumers
- Provide receipts for all expenses covered by the stipend
Selection and notification of stipend recipients
All submitted applications will be screened and those meeting the eligibility criteria will be considered by the Consumer Stipends Committee. The Consumer Stipends Committee is composed of active Cochrane consumer members and Cochrane staff.
Should you require assistance with your application, please contact email@example.com